Craft Fur Baitfish (with hollow tie) – Fly Tying With Matt Bennett
Matt Bennett is one of the most innovative fly designers these days. From Texas Hill Country bass to high country trout in Colorado, Matt has a full set of tying skills in his arsenal. This is Matt’s full tying demo of his Craft Fur Baitfish from his in-store presentation on 5/31/18. This demo was to present the hollow tie technique more than just a standard pattern…although this is a Pike Fly variation used to represent a rainbow trout. This technique can be adapted for a variety of baitfish including bass flies, musky flies, big articulated trout flies, golden dorado, and peacock bass patterns. Grab some craft fur and add this technique to your arsenal…and watch for the game-changing way to tie with craft fur.
Tying Materials (What we use, but not the exact materials used in the video).
- Hook: TMC 8089 or Gamakatsu B10S
- Thread: Danville Flat Waxed Nylon
- Tail: White SF Blend Fibers
- Flash: Flashabou, various colors
- Head: Hollow Tied Craft Fur – White and Olive https://duranglers.com/shop/fly-tying/hair-fur-and-strips/extra-select-craft-fur/
- Head Flash: Ripple Ice Fiber Peacock and Olive – We also like Ice Wing Fiber
- Cheeks: Ripple Ice Fiber Fluorescent Pink and Pink
- Other: Loon UV Flow
- Hareline UV Light
To see More Flies from Matt Bennett, visit his website.
His fly fishing writings have been published on blogs such as the Daily Drake and Simms Wading Room.