Fly Tying Tutorial: Hot Wire Prince Nymph
The Hot Wire Prince has been a go-to for a few of us the past few years. A simple, but extremely effective Prince Nymph variation, this bug gets down quick thanks to the wire and bead. Chances are you already have everything you need to tie this bug too! Whip a few up, it works great as a simple attractor nymph or a stonefly imitation in high gradient coldwater rivers.
We have even been known to drop this bug off the bend of a streamer. Check out our video tutorial with shop manager Rob, along with a full material list below. This is one of those bugs that can be fished almost year round, so there is really no reason not to have a few (or few hundred) in your box.
- Hook: TMC 5262 2xl Nymph 10-16
- Bead: Gold Bead, Brass or Tungsten
- Thread: Red Ultra Thread 6/0-8/0
- Tail: Brown Goose Biots
- Abdomen: Copper & Red Ultra Wire, Size Medium
- Thorax: Strung Peacock Herl
- Hackle: Brown Chinese Rooster or Brown Hen
- Wing: White Goose Biots
- Legs: MFC Speckled Sexi Floss Copper Brown
Whip a few of these guys up and let us know what you think!