Here are a few reasons why we love fishing the San Juan in winter.
1. Less people, you could even call it peaceful and quiet (except perhaps the occasional shotgun blast and falling duck).
2. The water is the same temp as it was in June, which might just be warmer than the air temp.
3. Due to water temp, the bugs are still very active.
4. Due to active bugs, the fish are still active.
5. Due to active fish, we are still catching them.
If you get a chance, we would highly recommend getting down to the San Juan this time of year. The fishing and catching is great as it is all year round. Lots of bugs to consider, but make sure you have some Blue Winged Olive and Midge dries, just in case. Also make sure to have a selection of midge and BWO nymphs and emergers size 20-26, annelids, leeches, a few egg patterns if you want to go down that path, and perhaps a bugger or two. Fish are feeding, the weather is great if you don’t mind the cold, and there is even a chance for a moment of solitude.