Fishpond Headgate Tippet Holder Review
The other day I got my hands on the Headgate Tippet Holder from Fishpond. New for 2015 and made of strong annodized aerospace aluminum; this little gadget at first glance reminds me of a carabiner. Call it a tippet carabiner. This thing is leagues above my old tippet-T, which the Headgate immediately replaced. I assume it is called the Headgate because like a gate, the horizontal bar swings out to allow you to slip your tippet spools on and then swings and snaps shut securely via spring locking mechanism.
A few points to note:
- • Holds tippet spools horizontally rather than vertically, making it easy to find the right tippet size you need.
- • The rubber washers keep your spools in place and don’t let them slip and rattle all over the place.
- • Holds a variety of spool sizes securely. It actually can hold a total of 7 spools of Rio tippet.
- • Clip it to your pack (or vest, or belt loop, etc.) and forget it. If your buddy needs some tippet; rather than pulling off and cutting the right length of tippet for him, you can just unclip the Headgate and hand him everything…while you keep fishing. It keeps your tippet in a nice little package.
- • At first I thought this was kind of a gimmick…but after 2 minutes of use I realized it was the smartest feature (and my favorite): a built in safety line cutter. Seriously a no brainer, why has no one done this before. It cuts line so easily. One side for thick tippet and one for thin. It actually made rigging a little quicker as I didn’t have to dig out my nippers to cut the tippet. Oh and is swivels to make it easier to use (or swivel out of the way).
So What’s Not to Like?
Is there anything there isn’t to like about this little accessory? Strangely enough for me, yes. I wish it was wider. I am probably one of 3 people in the world who wishes this thing could hold a massive amount of tippet spools. I am probably just looking to find an issue with a great piece of gear. I carry a whole lot of tippet including 1x-7x nylon, 3x-6x flouro, and spools of 10, 15, and 20 pound Maxima for streamer fishing. Maybe one day Fishpond will make a magnum Headgate to hold 12 or more tippet spools. Honestly though, if it was that big, it might be just be too annoying and large to lug around. Maybe I carry too much gear.
The other thing I didn’t like actually has nothing to do with the Headgate itself; but with Trout Hunter Tippet. Trout Hunter tippet spools have a giant hole that fit their own tippet holder. This ensures that it is just awkward or impossible to use Trout Hunter on normal tippet-T’s or on the Fishpond Headgate Tippet Holder. Maybe I need to figure out some kind of hack to get the Trout Hunter tippet to fit nicely on the Headgate. Until then, this gadget will be a part of my daily fishing kit.
Other than that, I don’t have any complaints about the Headgate Tippet Holder. This thing is sturdy, secure, convenient, and obviously well thought out by Fishpond. For professional guides, the Headgate will make rigging for clients a whole lot quicker. Who doesn’t like making the guide day more efficient?
- Andy McKinley
- Duranglers Flies and Supplies
[button title=”Shop Headgate Tippet Holder” link=”http://duranglers.com/shop/accessories-fishpond/fishpond-headgate-tippet-holder/” color=”green”]