Some may ask “Why would I need a niche fly line? My current fly line works just fine.” Well, niche fly lines are not for everyone. That is why we have called it “niche” fly line. However, a sand or lob wedge could be considered a “niche” golf club. You don’t need it, but they are really nice to have at times.
I am just going to call it like it is; the Scientific Anglers Sharkwave Siege fly line is a niche line. That is not a bad thing. So what niche does the Scientific Anglers Sharkwave Siege fly line fit?
Plain and simple, the Siege fly line was made for hucking meat. The Duranglers crew was able to test out the 6 and 7 weight versions of the Siege fly line. This line is triple textured and triple colored with a 30 foot reference point where the belly ends and the running line begins. It is almost like a reference point for the sweet spot of a spey line…but made for traditional fly casting. The reason for this is that is makes for quick one shot casts often made from a boat.
Here are a few thoughts we found while fishing this line:
- • We really liked the textured nature and it feels dialed back from previous lines. The line texture is nice but not overly noticeable. (Textured lines help with floatablity, shootability, and longevity of the line).
- • The colored reference loading point is really nice to make quick but longer casts. (As this is a heavy line, we have questioned if we could even slap this rod on a 2 hander and spey cast…we may try this out later.)
- • The belly of this line is short…but HUGE. Seriously, it looks like a 12 weight line. This short but fat belly makes for quick casts where you need to shoot a lot of line.
- • Due to the heavier nature of the line, it shoots like a rifle. (We did like the line on a medium fast as opposed to fast and ultra fast rod)
- • You cannot over power this line…so don’t try. Attempting to throw very tight loops with double hauls and high line speeds will be difficult. We recommend slowing down your casting stroke; you will be amazed at how much of a difference this makes with heavy flies. When you have figured out the rhythm of this line, you find that it can make big casts with little effort.
To answer the question, “Why would I buy a niche fly line?” Our best answer is this: “for the same reason you would buy a niche rod.” Many have come into our shop looking for a streamer or nymph specific rod. It stands to reason that if you have a streamer specific rod, you should have a streamer specific fly line. The Scientific Anglers Sharkwave Siege fly line serves a specific purpose, and serves that purpose extremely well.
[button title=”Shop Siege Fly Line” link=”http://duranglers.com/shop/made-in-usa/scientific-anglers-sharkwave-siege/” color=”green”]